FxCop is one of the 3rd party analyzers that can be integrated in SPCAF.
Unfortunately, Microsoft chose to make it very hard to download and install FxCop.
As we are not allowed to redistribute the installer with SPCAF please follow the instructions to get the FxCop installer.
Navigate to the CodePlex project fxcopinstaller.codeplex.com that provides the installer ready to download.
Warning: As we do not have any insight or control over this project we advise you to do this on your own risk.
If you rather prefer to get the installer directly from Microsoft, please follow the alternative 2.
Note: The following guide was taken from Stephen Ritchie's blog "Ruthlessly Helpful". Please drop him a thank you for providing the information!
- [Don't do this step!] Go to Microsoft’s Download Center page for FxCop 10.0 (download page) and perform the download. The file that is downloaded is actually a readme.txt file.
- The FxCop 10.0 readme file has two steps of instruction:
- FxCop Installation Instructions
- Download the Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7 and .NET Framework 4 version 7.1.
- Run %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1\Bin\FXCop\FxCopSetup.exe to install FxCop.
- On the actual FxCop 10.0 Download Center page, under the Instructions heading, there are slightly more elaborate instructions:
- Download the Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7 and .NET Framework 4 Version 7.1 [with a link to the download]
- Using elevated privileges execute FxCopSetup.exe from the %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1\Bin\FXCop folder
- Use the Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7 and .NET Framework 4 version 7.1 link to jump over to the SDK download page.
- [Don't actually download this, either!] The estimated time to download on a T1 is 49 min. The download file is winsdk_web.exe is 498 KB, but under the Instruction heading the explanation is provided: The Windows SDK is available thru a web setup (this page) that enables you to selectively download and install individual SDK components or via an ISO image file so that you can burn your own DVD. Follow the link over to download the ISO image file.
- Download the ISO image file on the ISO download page. This is a 570 MB download, which is about 49 min on a T1.
- Unblock the file and use 7-Zip to extract the ISO files.
- Navigate to the C:\Downloads\Microsoft\SDK\Setup\WinSDKNetFxTools folder.
- Open the cab1.cab file within the WinSDKNetFxTools folder. Right-click and select Open in a new window from the menu.
- Switch over to the details file view, sort by name descending , and find the file that’s name starts with WinSDK_FxCopSetup.exe … ” plus a Guid (e.g. “WinSDK_FxCopSetup.exe_all_enu_1B2F0812_3E8B_426F_95DE_4655AE4DA6C6″.)
- Make a sensibly named folder for the FxCop setup file to go into, for example, create a folder called C:\Downloads\Microsoft\FxCop\Setup.
- Right-click on the “WinSDK_FxCopSetup.exe + gobbledygook” file and select Copy. Copy the“WinSDK_FxCopSetup.exe + Guid” file into C:\Downloads\Microsoft\FxCop\Setup folder.
- Rename the file to “FxCopSetup.exe”. This is the FxCop setup file.
- As soon as you have achieved that you can re-use the 14 MB FxCopSetup.exe on any other machine.